Monday, October 13, 2014

Easy as Pie!


My 13 year old daughter asked if we could go apple picking this fall, something new for us. I had a vague concern I'd end up spending a small fortune for the privilege of elbowing our way through crowds to harvest way more apples than we needed, but when your teenager is interested in spending time with you in such a wholesome activity, you've just got to consider yourself blessed by the cosmos and roll with it. 

I checked the website of Millburn Orchards, and gave a little cheer when I read that this was the weekend the Stayman Winesap apples were ready. Yaaaay! The crisp and tart Stayman Winesap is my go-to apple for baking. They're simply the best, and I'll accept no argument on the matter. Pricing was very reasonable at $1.55/lb, with no other fees, and I only had to buy 10 lbs. Perfect! 
We started our morning with some of the orchard's still-warm cider donuts
and a chilled cup of fresh apple cider (this breakfast itself is worth the drive over), then climbed on the wagon for a ride out to the orchard. While there had been a line for the wagon ride, the orchards were large and we had an entire row of trees to ourselves. Maybe the winesaps were just not the most popular of the four varieties being harvested in the apple orchard that day. We made short work of selecting the best apples we could find, almost like an apple beauty pagaent -- the orchards had unfortunately succumbed to 'apple scab' this year, a harmless but unattractive skin condition due to the wet spring and mild summer. We selected the finalists for inclusion in the best apple pies ever, and headed home!
Making apple pie is simple, especially if you cheat, as I do. For each pie start by mixing these dry ingredients. I just stick them in a plastic container with a lid, and shake to combine: 
1 cup sugar
2 heaping tablespoons flour
1 level teaspoon cinnamon
dash nutmeg
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Peel and quarter about 2 lbs of apples (4 to 6 apples), then thinly slice the quarters, layering the sugar mixture over the apples as you add them to the bowl. I also usually squeeze some fresh lemon over the apples along with the sugar mixture. I don't like my pie overly sweet.

Next, prepare the crusts. Here is my secret recipe: Pillsbury refrigerated crusts, which are found near the biscuits at the grocery store, in a long box containing two rolled-up circles of pastry. I'm not even embarrassed to say I use these. I got the recipe from an older lady at the office, Rose, who was known as a great cook, way back when I was in my twenties. She said to me what I'm going to tell you now - "The Pillsbury crusts are way better than anything I've been able to make." I don't mind putting time in if I can do it better, but there's no pride in saying it's homemade if the store bought convenience tastes better.  Just follow the directions on the box for setting the bottom crust in your pie plate, and pour your apple mixture in. Before putting on the top crust, take about half a tablespoon of butter from the refrigerator and just shave little chunks of the butter on top of the apples, dotting them with butter. Set your top crust, tuck the edges under the bottom crust and pinch to seal per the instructions on the box. 
 Next comes the fun part -- making some pretty little decoration to vent your pie. You can simply take a paring knife and cut some slits in the top of the pie. That's necessary to let the steam escape in the oven. I like to make designs, depending on how much time I have they can be elaborate (poinsettas, wreaths, a turkey, flowers, etc.) or a simple geometric pattern.

Brush a scant bit of milk on the top for a shiny crust, and sprinkle with a just little sugar for a sparkle.

You need to cover the edges of the pie with foil. Here is a link for a simple way to do that, if you don't already know the technique. Bake for 25 minutes at 375. Remove the foil, and continue baking for 20 more minutes. Remove to cool. Serve warm (not too hot, the filling needs to cool a bit).

Delicious with vanilla ice cream, and a mug of your favorite tea. Yum!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post! I can't wait to have your apple pie on Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete