Monday, October 6, 2014

Postcards From the Past

Lately I've become somewhat enamored of old postcards. My favorites are the linen cards from the 1930's and 1940's, and the older cards with black and white photographs or gaily drawn picture greetings for every holiday. There are cards with flowers, birds, Santa, angels, chicks and witches. Then there are the cities, seasides, diners, waterfalls, people, gardens, ships and bridges.

Some collectors may like the more pristine cards, but I'm sympathetic with them showing some wear. Nobody's perfect. I'm more excited to find the ones that are pretty and also used, posted to somebody with a message. Somebody took the time to send somebody some words 70 to 100 years ago. These writers are likely gone from this Earth by now, and yet something they hollered across the miles to a loved one sits waiting like a wallflower to dance into someone's heart again. I'll read you, little postcards.

So that explains my recent eBay purchase of 200 slightly damaged vintage postcards, cheap. I'm excited to get them and start to sort through my treasure. I think I'll make them a periodic feature on the blog. Postcards from the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment